Positive Advanced Training
Taught by Michelle Carroll, in this 7-week class you will continue to improve your basic skills and work on higher levels of distraction and distance. We will begin removing food rewards and increase your verbal and physical praise. In this class you will focus profoundly on being a TEAM. We will work on public access strategies and prepare to take the AKC Canine Good Citizenship Test and receive an introduction to the AKC Community Canine Test. If you & your dog desire to become a Therapy Team you will go through all of the required items required by Keystone Pet Enhanced Therapy Services (KPETS). KPETS will do the official testing once this class is successfully completed. This class is also a great building block should you decide to venture into dog activities such as Trick Training, Nose Work, Service Dog and Agility.
American Kennel Club’s Canine Good Citizen Test Items
- Accepting a friendly stranger
- Sitting politely for petting
- Appearance and grooming
- Walking on a loose leash
- Walking through a crowd
- Sit and Down on command and Staying in place
- Coming when called
- Reaction to another dog
- Reaction to distractions
- Supervised separation
American Kennel Club’s Community Canine Test Items
- Dog stands, sits or lies down and waits under control while the owner sits at the registration table and fills out paperwork, or, while the owner sits and has a snack or visits with someone.
- Walks on a loose leash in a natural situation does not pull. Left and right turn stop fast and slow pace.
- Walks on a loose leash through a crowd. This item is tested in a real crowd.
- Dog walks past distraction dogs present; does not pull.
- Sit-stay in small group (3 other people with dogs). Owners and dogs are in an informal group while owners have a conversation.
- Dog allows person who is carrying something (e.g., purse, computer case, backpack) to approach and pet it. “May I pet your dog?” (Item is put on floor/ground before person pets dog)
- “Leave it.” Dog walks by food and follows owner instructions.
- Down or sit stay at a distance.
- Come with distractions present.
- Dog enters/exits a doorway or narrow passageway in a controlled manner. The official CGC Test will be offered at the conclusion of this class. Additional fees are applicable to have your paperwork submitted to the AKC for your CGC certificate.
- Successful completion of Oscar’s Pet Resort’s basic training class or equivalent training from another training facility.
- Current vaccinations for DHPP, Bordetella and Rabies (Proof from veterinarian required)
- Cost: $175
- held one hour session weekly for 7 weeks
ALL Vaccinations and Payment must be completed (1) one week prior to the start of class. Please call credit card payment to 717-397-0726 or mail check and/or vaccinations to Oscar’s Pet Resort 521 Willow Road, Lancaster PA 17601. Fax 717-397-0731.
|ADVANCED – FRIDAY– Trainer: Michelle Carroll|
|Friday, January 6, 2023 – Bring Dogs & Training Tools||1||7:30 – 8:30pm|
|Friday, January 13, 2023||2||7:30 – 8:30pm|
|Friday, January 20, 2023||3||7:30 – 8:30pm|
|Friday, January 27, 2023||4||7:30 – 8:30pm|
|Friday, February 3, 2023||5||7:30 – 8:30pm|
|Friday, February 10, 2023||6||7:30 – 8:30pm|
|Friday, February 17, 2023||7||7:30 – 8:30pm|