Positive Advanced Training
Taught by Michelle Carroll, in this 7-week class you will continue to improve your basic skills and work on higher levels of distraction and distance. We will begin removing food rewards and increase your verbal and physical praise. In this class you will focus profoundly on being a TEAM. We will work on public access strategies and prepare to take the AKC Canine Good Citizenship Test and receive an introduction to the AKC Community Canine Test. If you & your dog desire to become a Therapy Team you will go through all of the required items required by Keystone Pet Enhanced Therapy Services (KPETS). KPETS will do the official testing once this class is successfully completed. As a BONUS we will have some fun teaching your dog some easy tricks and introduce clicker training. This class is also a great building block should you decide to venture into dog activities such as Trick Training, Rally Obedience, Nose Work, Therapy Team, Service Dog and Agility.
American Kennel Club’s Canine Good Citizen Test Items
- Accepting a friendly stranger
- Sitting politely for petting
- Appearance and grooming
- Walking on a loose leash
- Walking through a crowd
- Sit and Down on command and Staying in place
- Coming when called
- Reaction to another dog
- Reaction to distractions
- Supervised separation
American Kennel Club’s Community Canine Test Items
- Dog stands, sits or lies down and waits under control while the owner sits at the registration table and fills out paperwork, or, while the owner sits and has a snack or visits with someone.
- Walks on a loose leash in a natural situation does not pull. Left and right turn stop fast and slow pace.
- Walks on a loose leash through a crowd. This item is tested in a real crowd.
- Dog walks past distraction dogs present; does not pull.
- Sit-stay in small group (3 other people with dogs). Owners and dogs are in an informal group while owners have a conversation.
- Dog allows person who is carrying something (e.g., purse, computer case, backpack) to approach and pet it. “May I pet your dog?” (Item is put on floor/ground before person pets dog)
- “Leave it.” Dog walks by food and follows owner instructions.
- Down or sit stay at a distance.
- Come with distractions present.
- Dog enters/exits a doorway or narrow passageway in a controlled manner. The official CGC Test will be offered at the conclusion of this class. If you opt to take the official CGC test, the cost is an additional $25.00. Upon passing the official CGC test, you will be given a certificate from the American Kennel Club and your choice of a Canine Good Citizen bandana or patch.
- Successful completion of Oscar’s Pet Resort’s basic training class or equivalent training from another training facility.
- Current vaccinations for DHPP, Bordetella and Rabies (Proof from veterinarian required)
ALL Vaccinations and Payment must be completed (1) one week prior to the start of class. Please call credit card payment to 717-397-0726 or mail check and/or vaccinations to Oscar’s Pet Resort 521 Willow Road, Lancaster PA 17601. Fax 717-397-0731.
Social distancing measures will be in place. Masks are required.
**For classes marked “FULL”, please feel free to send your name and contact info to be placed on a Wait List to https://www.oscarspetresort.com/contact/ or call 717-397-0726. We make every attempt to open up more classes if we have the requests and need. **
|May 7, 2021||1||Friday||7:30 – 8:30 pm|
|May 14, 2021||2||Friday||7:30 – 8:30 pm|
|May 21, 2021||3||Friday||7:30 – 8:30 pm|
|May 28, 2021||4||Friday||7:30 – 8:30 pm|
|June 4, 2021||5||Friday||7:30 – 8:30 pm|
|June 11, 2021||6||Friday||7:30 – 8:30 pm|
|June 18, 2021||7||Friday||7:30 – 8:30 pm|
|June 6, 2021||1||Sunday||5:45 – 6:45 pm|
|June 13 2021||2||Sunday||5:45 – 6:45 pm|
|June 20, 2021||3||Sunday||5:45 – 6:45 pm|
|June 27, 2021||4||Sunday||5:45 – 6:45 pm|
|July 11, 2021||5||Sunday||5:45 – 6:45 pm|
|July 18, 2021||6||Sunday||5:45 – 6:45 pm|
|July 25, 2021||7||Sunday||5:45 – 6:45 pm|